Health and P.E
Physical Education/Health Expectations
We are excited about starting a new year. Students will learn ways to be healthy by actively participating in various games and activities in the gym. They will also take part in health classes throughout the year. In order for our program to operate smoothly and effectively, the expectations and procedures below must be followed.
- ALL SCHOOL RULES APPLY
- Respect yourself, your teachers, classmates, classroom supplies & equipment
- Come directly to PE/Health once dismissed from previous class. DO NOT use the bathroom in between classes, without permission
- ABSOLUTELY NO CELL PHONES OR ELECTRONIC DEVICES OUT IN THE GYM OR LOCKER ROOM.
- Be prepared for class.
PE: Students are REQUIRED to wear their PE uniform and sneakers everyday for Physical Education. Write your name on your uniform. Your uniform is YOUR responsibility. For hygiene purposes students should bring deodorant. You may also bring a small towel, brush, etc. (NO GLASS BOTTLES ALLOWED) Students will be issued a clean yellow/burgundy uniform to wear if they forget theirs.
HEALTH: pencil/pen, paper, folder/binder, CHARGED Chromebook, earbuds etc.
- Jewelry must be removed for PE for safety reasons. Students’ valuables are their responsibility.
- There will be a countdown clock in the gym. You must be in your seat when the buzzer goes off. Times may be adjusted throughout the year. You have no more than 5 minutes to change.
- Listen when a teacher or a classmate are talking and follow directions.
- When you hear the whistle STOP whatever you are doing, FREEZE and LISTEN for instructions.
- ALWAYS leave the classroom/gym cleaner than you found it
- Students are dismissed by the teacher
- Make up work: It is your responsibility to talk to your PE teacher when you are absent
- If a student is to be temporarily excused from PE, a written statement from home must be given to the teacher at the beginning of class. Only 2 parent notes are allowed per 9 weeks. If a student is to be excused for more than 2 days, a written statement from a doctor is required. It must state the reason he/she is unable to participate, for how long and what activities the student can or cannot do. Parents may be called to verify notes.
One grade will be given for Physical Education. It will be a combination of Physical Education and Health classes.
Physical Education Grading Rubric-Based on Middle School Grading Policy:
50% Major Works: Ex. Participation, Fitness Tests, Health Tests, Projects, etc.
30% Minor Works: Ex. Dressing Out, Health Quizzes, Bellringers etc.
20% Classwork: Ex. Fitness Laps, F3 Friday’s, Daily Work, Mini Labs, etc.
Participation Grade: All students start with a “100” . Keeping that grade is based on participation, cooperation, sportsmanship and effort during class. Throughout the year the students will be involved in a variety of sports, games, and fitness activities. Students are EXPECTED to participate in everything to the best of their ability. Students can lose up to 20 points each day, if there is lack of effort, refusing to participate, poor sportsmanship, etc.
Students will receive a participation grade every 2 weeks.
Fitness Tests: Students will participate in fitness tests once every quarter. Grade is based on how the student demonstrates proficiency & improvement in 5 components. The lowest grade for performance tests is an 80, unless a student refuses to participate. They will receive no credit for that one test and 20 points off their participation grade.
Dressing Out Grade: Students are required to wear their uniform and sneakers (they must be secure on their feet) every day when they have PE. This is for safety reasons. A daily grade of 20 points will be given for preparedness, adding up to 100 for their weekly dressing-out grade during their PE rotation.
10 points will be deducted each day a student forgets their uniform (-5 if missing only part of their uniform)
10 points will be deducted each day a student forgets their sneakers (NO Crocs, Hey Dudes, sandals, boots, platform shoes, or anything similar)
F3 (Fun, Fitness, Flexibility): Students will ALL have PE on Fridays. During their health rotation, they will receive a classwork grade based on participation and dressing out for that Friday.
Behavioral Procedures (Unless extreme)
Offense 1: Verbal Warning
Offense 2: Student/Teacher Conference and Parent Notification
Offense 3: Student/Team Conference and Parent Notification
Offense 4: Parent Notifications and Student Services Referral
Offense 5: Parent Notification and Administrative Conference
Offense 6: Parent Notification, Behavior Chart and Administrative Conference